We wish you a Moray Christmas
December 15th: The annual Moray Christmas campaign from the Moray Economic Partnership was officially launched today. This year, the team has pulled out all the stops to create a Moray version of the famous Christmas song Twelve Days of Christmas. Produced as a video which will be projected onto St Giles Church in Elgin on Friday 15th December and housed online on the My Moray website and all associated social media channels, viewers can expect a real Moray Christmas treat as everything associated with a Moray Christmas is celebrated.
The song has been customised to showcase famous Moray icons. It opens with Lucy Lyne, raised and educated in Forres, and a former title holder for the Highland region for Platinum Pageants Miss Year contest. Now working as a beauty therapist in Forres and studying for a HNC in beauty therapy at Moray College, Lucy is depicted as the recipient of all the gifts from the ‘true love’ in the song.
- On the first day of Christmas, she can be seen hanging a Christmas card (featuring a partridge) in a Christmas tree. The card was provided by I Like Birds and the scene filmed at Christies of Fochabers Christmas tree farm.
- On the second day of Christmas, Lucy can be seen trying on two turtle neck sweaters at Johnstons of Elgin.
- On the third day of Christmas, instead of being given three French hens Lucy throws open the French windows at a new build house at Hamilton Gardens, built by Robertson Homes.
- On the fourth day of Christmas, Lucy attempts four calling birdies at Hopeman Golf Course.
- On the fifth day of Christmas, Lucy samples five gold rings (drams of Speyside malt at the Craigellachie Hotel in the Quaich Bar).
- On the sixth day of Christmas, we see six salmon smoking at Associated Seafoods in Buckie.
- On the seventh day of Christmas, we see seven dolphins swimming at the Scottish Dolphin Centre at Spey Bay.
- On the eighth day of Christmas, we see eight maids a baking delicious shortbread at Walkers.
- On the ninth day of Christmas, we see nine ladies dancing depicted as wind turbines at one of Moray’s wind farms.
- On the tenth day of Christmas, we see ten flames a leaping with the burning of the Clavie from the fire festival at Burghead.
- On the eleventh day of Christmas, we see eleven pipers piping at Piping at Forres.
- The video closes on the twelfth day of Christmas, with twelve drummers drumming from Drumfun in Forres.
Heather’s Rising Stars from Forres sing the Twelve Days of Moray Christmas. Children aged nine to 16 came together at Unity Recording Studio in Nairn to record the festive song.
Heather Hatch, founder of Rising Stars and singing teacher said:
“We were delighted to be asked to get involved in the Twelve days of Moray Christmas campaign. The whole experience was very festive, we drove to the studio through the snow on a Friday night dressed in Christmas jumpers and full of the Christmas spirit. I don’t think any of the children will be able to sing the original lyrics to Twelve Days of Christmas again!”
John Cowe, Chair of Moray Economic Partnership, added:
“We are really very proud of this Christmas campaign. Everybody had great fun putting this together and we are so grateful to all those that contributed and gave time, film footage or product for free. The Twelve Days of Moray Christmas really does capture the essence of Christmas in Moray. It celebrates our great heritage in food and drink with smoked salmon, shortbread and whisky; it features important sectors like construction and renewable energy; it showcases luxury items such as cashmere; it highlights our fantastic golf courses; it captures our stunning scenery and wildlife on camera with Spey Bay and it shines a light on how creative we are here in Moray with Piping at Forres, Drumfun, Rising Stars and the burning of the Clavie. We hope that people enjoy watching it and we do beg a little forgiveness for creative license!”
The full video can be viewed here.
Companies/organisations that featured in the Twelve Days of Moray Christmas
- I Like Birds https://ilikebirds.co.uk/
- Christies of Fochabers http://christiesoffochabers.com/
- Johnstons of Elgin https://www.johnstonscashmere.com/
- Robertson Homes http://www.robertsonhomes.co.uk/
- Hopeman Golf Course http://www.hopemangc.co.uk/
- Craigellachie Hotel http://www.craigellachiehotel.co.uk/
- Associated Seafoods http://associatedseafoods.com/
- Scottish Dolphin Centre at Spey Bay http://dolphincentre.whales.org/plan-your-visit/
- Octovision Media http://www.octovisionmedia.co.uk/
- Walkers https://www.walkersshortbread.com/uk/
- Footage of the Burning of the Clavie provided by William Leach https://www.williamleitch.co.uk/
- Piping at Forres https://pipingatforres.com/
- Drumfun https://www.drumfun.co.uk/
- The song was recorded at Unity Recording Studio, Nairn: http://www.unityrecordingstudio.com